- Replace Excel to better manage their complex Bill of Materials (BOMs)
- Find a reliable tool for maintaining and sharing their BOMs across their organization from engineering to procurement
- Chose OpenBOM solution to integrate their BOM management process – required minimal maintenance without dedicated IT team
- Contacted Razorleaf for initial data loading of SOLIDWORKS and Excel BOM data to create accurate BOMs for a product record master in OpenBOM
- Increased productivity by 10 – 15% by moving from a manual process to automating the BOM process, thus reducing the time and effort
- Better managed different revisions and change management resulting in an increase in quality by reducing manual errors
Nexa3D Needs to Share BOM Data Across the Organization
Nexa3D was experiencing problems with managing their product Bills of Materials (BOMs) in Excel. Nexa3D used SOLIDWORKS and PDM Professional from SOLIDWORKS to manage engineering data for their product definition. However, because their product BOMs contain more than Nexa3D components in CAD, they needed a separate tool for maintaining and sharing their BOMs. As needs expanded, Excel proved not a great tool for managing this dynamic information. Their product BOM is quite complex, and multiple departments (engineering, production, purchasing, and finance teams) edited this information. It was critical to collaborate on the BOM data across the organization. SOLIDWORKS with PDM Pro would have been a logical place for the mechanical engineering team to manage this BOM data, but it was not straightforward for other teams, such as electrical engineers, to access or manage BOM data from that tool. At Nexa3D, not every component is modeled or defined in SOLIDWORKS as fit, form, and function for components, such as consumables, adhesives, and certain cables, which can be validated more effectively in physical builds.
We needed to add certain functionality to Excel for regulatory compliance, purchasing information, vendor data, and costs.
Unfortunately, it became unmanageable and restrictive in terms of permissions and who can edit and track the changes. Over time, it
became more problematic than helpful, and we outgrew Excel for a variety of business reasons.
Mechanical Engineering Director
Read the full case study and learn how Nexa3D improved their productivity by automating the BOM process.