Aras Innovator is a powerful PLM platform designed for flexibility, scalability, and security. Although the task of managing product lifecycle for which it was designed is one of significant complexity, actually installing Aras Innovator is a relatively simple process compared with many other enterprise-level software products. Even so, installation can be made difficult if the pre-install environment is not correctly prepared, and the installation process itself does contain a few “gotchas” to be aware of. This article is intended to help make the work as painless as possible.
Note: We are working with the latest open release of Aras Innovator. At the time this article was published, Innovator 12 sp9 and is available for download from the Aras website. For this installation, we are focusing on performing a basic, no-frills installation with all components on a single machine, and no domain accounts required.
The installation guide provided by Aras indicates three prerequisites to address prior to installing Innovator:
1. Web Server (Internet Information Services, or IIS)
2. Database Server (Microsoft SQL Server, full or express)
3. File Server
In addition to the prerequisites, the Aras Innovator Platform Specification document should also be reviewed to understand the hardware and software expectations of the underlying infrastructure. You can find the document here, Platform Specification.
Web Server (IIS)
Since Innovator is a web-based framework, the web server provides the services necessary to serve up content to the client browser. It is important to note that IIS is not active in a default Windows environment; it must be enabled. Along with IIS, there are several features and role services that must also be installed. Below are the steps for enabling IIS and the required features in the Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 environments. Windows 10 is a great environment to use to do an evaluation but should not be considered for production use or a multi-user environment.
Windows Server 2016
The screenshots below were taken from Windows Server 2016. Note that for Windows Server 2012, .NET 4.5 will be in place of .NET 4.7, and in Server 2016 .NET 4.6 will be in place of .NET 4.7. If you are using Windows Server 2019 .NET 4.7 is already installed.
- Open Server Manager, and click Manage → Add Roles and Features
- In the Server Roles section, check the box for Web Server (IIS). If you get a secondary window that requests to add features required for Web Server, click Add Features:
3. In the Features section, make sure the following are checked:
a. .NET Framework 3.5 Features – This is not strictly needed for a default install of Aras Innovator, but there are still add-on components that may require it.
b. .Net Framework 4.6 Features
i. Include ASP.NET 4.6
4. In the Role Services section, make sure the following are checked:
a. Web Server
i. Common HTTP Features
1. Default Document
2. Directory Browsing
3. HTTP Errors
4. Static Content
ii. Health and Diagnostics
1. HTTP Logging
2. Request Monitor – Useful for troubleshooting a slow or unresponsive IIS worker process, as it allows you to capture information about the HTTP requests executing in a given process.
1. Static Content Compression
1. Request Filtering
2. Windows Authentication
v. Application Development
1. .NET Extensibility 3.5 (if you chose to install .NET Framework 3.5 above)
2. .NET Extensibility 4.5
3. ASP.NET 3.5 (if you chose to install .NET Framework 3.5 above) – If prompted, choose to add all features required to enable this service)
4. ASP.NET 4.5 – (If prompted, choose to enable all features required to enable this service)