The majority of businesses these days have a need to manage documents in at least one location other than the “main” site. If the documents have any size to them, the vaulting process can be very painful and time consuming, regardless of the PLM system in use. Luckily, most PLM systems, including Aras Innovator, have the ability to house vaults in multiple locations to support such a multi-site environment. This allows for the vaulting operations to be moved local to the user, saving time and money.
To create a new vault in Aras Innovator, follow these few steps:
- Allocate a server at the secondary location (Site 2) that is capable of running Windows Internet Information Server (IIS) and has sufficient available storage to house the vaulted files.
- Run the Innovator setup, InnovatorSetup.msi, to begin the installation process.
- Perform a custom installation and select the Vault Server setup component only.
- Choose a name for the vault. The default name in the installation is “Default”. You may already have a vault named “Default” in your Innovator environment, so you should specify a different name. A name indicating the location can be helpful when looking at a list of Innovator vault names.
- The installation will also ask for the Application Server URL. This is the URL to the Innovator server instance at Site 1. The URL has the following form, http://<Site_1_Hostname>/<web_alias>/Server/InnovatorServer.aspx. The hostname and alias can be gleaned from an existing Innovator shortcut.
- Identify the local path on the server where the vaulted files will be stored.
- Complete the installation.
- Browse the installation path and open the file VaultServerConfig.xml in a text file editor. Confirm that the <AppServerURL> (from Step 5) and <name> (from Step 4) parameters are correct per the values entered during the installation.
- Login to Innovator as an administrator and expand the Administration -> Vaults branch of the tree.
- Add a new vault record.
- Set the Name on the form to the vault name used during the installation (Step 4).
- Set the Vault URL to http://<Site 2 Hostname>/vault/VaultServer.aspx.
- Save, unlock and close the Vault record.
- Update the Default Vault value on the user records that will be using the Site 2 vault.
- Login as one of the Site 2 users and create a new document object and attach a file to it. Unlock the document object.
- Confirm that the file has been added to the Site 2 vault in the path specified in Step 6.
While implementing additional vaults adds some hardware and software administration overhead, the performance gains from the use of vaults local to the users can be significant and greatly enhance the user’s experience and efficiency with the software. For more information or help on setting up an Aras Innovator multi-site environment, please contact us.